Great Birth Changes

This is a blog emcompassing all of the positive changes that are happening in the birthing world. P

Friday, June 24, 2005

A Positive (multiple) VBAC Story

I love Laura's wisdom. We have so many tools like pelvic tilts, the right doctor and a doula that we can use to increase the likelyhood of having a VBAC. Thanks Laura:


Hi there. I am a modern day success story. I have had 3 successful vbac's naturally after a c-section for "failure to progress". I changed medical providers at 31 weeks when I was pregnant with my 2nd child when the ob (a female one too at that) told me I was "looking big and would more than likely just have another C-section". I said NO WAY to that, educated myself, and found a doula.

Lots of women think they have no other choice than to just settle for another c-section. There are things you can do to prevent having to have a c-section. Simple pelvic tilts are one example. We don't realize how much information is out there. We just trust whatever our practioner says without questioning them these days - even if it goes against what we think we want to do or what would be best for us. We need to trust our own instincts again.

My husband encouraged me to look into using a doula, and to try to give birth the way I always dreamed of giving birth -naturally. We used a doula for all 3 of our other births. My doulas (I had 2 different ones) have taught me so much about myself, childbirth and about the ability we have as women to birth naturally. We "modern" women fear pain way too much. Natural childbirth is painful, but it was the most rewarding experience (in my case the most rewarding experiences) of my life. We are fed these lies that we need epidurals to get through childbirth or we need to be "in control" of the birth, so we plan c-sections around our busy schedules. We have lost our way to being able to just enjoy nature - including nature at work within us as birthing mothers. We need to tell other women about the joy of childbirth instead of fearing them into having a c-section.

Laura Buck
Akron, OH