Great Birth Changes

This is a blog emcompassing all of the positive changes that are happening in the birthing world. P

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Sharing Positive Delivery Experiences

I think it's great you're creating a focus on the positive aspects of birth. I make it my personal quest when I see pregnant women to share my positive delivery experiences, and also to tell her to be wary of those eager to share their bad ones. (it seemed when I was pregnant everyone came out of the woodwork to share their horror stories with me!)

I have two sons, now ages 4 and 8. Caleb was born in August 1996 in Houston, Texas. During labor, I meditated on the verse: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, and used yoga deep breathing techniques to stay calm. My wonderful husband was by my side, and the hospital staff was very relaxed. After only 6 hours of labor (he was my first, too!) my beautiful son was born on my 30th birthday! No pain medication, no trauma, just joy (and relief when it was done!)

Four years later, my second son, Benjamin was born in New York. Again, my loving husband was by my side. This labor was so much shorter (only 2 hours total) that by the time I arrived at the hospital, I was ready to push. My midwife arrived soon after, and within 30 minutes, Benjamin was born. His birth was so peaceful that the "bag of waters" never even broke. He was born August 15, 2000.

Hope this helps!
Best wishes on your efforts,
Elaine Trainor