Great Birth Changes

This is a blog emcompassing all of the positive changes that are happening in the birthing world. P

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Mesa Nurse Midwife

(Note: This hospital is Longmont United Hospital in Longmont, Colorado. I like this story because I love hearing of jacuzzi tubs, midwives and allowing the dad to catch the baby. )

I had an amazing experience giving birth to my daughter, Mesa, now four months old. Two day before she was born my husband and I went on a long hike in the mountains. She must have sensed our excitement and readiness to meet her, because that night my water broke.

The following morning I went in for an exam, since contractions hadn't yet begun. My midwife was great at providing us with all the information we needed to make the decision not to induce, but to wait for labor to start on its own. Exactly twelve hours after my water broke contractions began. We waited until they were 5 minutes apart before going to the hospital. Throughout this time I felt calm and peaceful, knowing that my body was capable of handling labor and delivery with ease. I knew that Mesa and I would do just fine.

When we got to the hospital our nurse respectfully acknowledged our birth plan and only did external fetal monitoring several times during labor. She allowed my husband and I the privacy we needed. She came in just once every hour, on average, to check in. This helped increase our confidence, as she seemed to trust that we knew how to do this on our own. The warm and comforting hospital room permitted me to further relax, along with the use of the jacuzzi. After six hours of labor, I was ready to push. My midwife came in just then to help deliver Mesa. She allowed my husband, Ernst, to actually deliver her once her head was out.

Ernst placed our new baby girl on my stomach, announced that she was a girl, and later cut the umbilical cord. The entire experience still brings tears to my eyes because it was such an empowering and beautiful event. The nurses, our midwife, and the entire hospital staff acknowledged the sacredness of Mesa's birth and permitted Ernst and I to have a wonderful birthing experience.

Thanks for letting me share my story. -Kimberly Strenge